Praise is defined as:
- to say or write good things about (someone or something) : to express approval of (someone or something)
- to express thanks to or love and respect for
No matter what each of us believes, whenever something “good” happens, we shout our praises. We get a new job – PRAISE! We get a new house – PRAISE! Something good unexpected happens – PRAISE! Many of us think “praise” and we think of religious connotations, though “praise” is not necessarily religious per se. We can offer praise to someone who does a good job for example. We give words of praise via social media all the time when something good happens.
- New job after 5 months of being off due to illness
- Relocating due to new job
- Housing due to new job
- Daughter’s 1st year of college paid for!
- I have a great God. While you may not believe in Him – I do, and that’s okay.
- Today I have a good attitude
- I can laugh at the fact that I’m willingly moving to INDIANA! (Arizona weather sounds SO much nicer!)
Other things to be thankful for (#praise):
- Nature – I love to just lay back and watch the sky. Or to watch the grass, watch the wind blow and turn the blades, watch the ants and other things going through the grass…it’s the little things.
- Animals – who doesn’t like to pet a cute puppy, bunny, or kitten?!
- Nice people – hey, I’d rather honestly be around a nice person than a mean one!
(Pictures: my dog (she’s hiding from fireworks here, sunsets, and the beach)
A couple things that come to mind:
You can’t let praise or criticism get to you. It’s a weakness to get caught up in either one. –
Lord, you are my God;
I will exalt you and praise your name,
for in perfect faithfulness
you have done wonderful things,
things planned long ago. – Isaiah 25:1
No matter our circumstances, sometimes it is only our attitude that makes a difference. For me, it has made all the difference. I decided to have a good attitude and be positive, and things started going much better. Even when things go bad, and we are at the bottom, we can choose to look up and see the sky. We can see the good, but that’s a choice we have to make.
Rejoice in the Lord always: and again I say, Rejoice.
We can choose to be thankful. We can choose to praise.